T. Charles Witzel
Telephone: 020-7927 2800 Email: Charles.Witzel@lshtm.ac.uk
Charlie joined Sigma Research in December of 2014 following the completion of an MSc in Public Health (Health Services Management) at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. His primary role is to undertake the formative research and process evaluation on the PANTHEON trial of HIV self-testing among gay men and other MSM, but he also works on his own pilot study of motivations and barriers to PrEP use for black men who have sex with men (MSM) in London.
Charlie has worked in various capacities in sexual health in the UK and in West Africa developing and delivering health promotion, harm reduction and peer support services. His previous research has focused on gay male pornography, online representations of sexual risk and HIV testing policy.
Recent journal articles
- Witzel TC, Nutland W, Bourne AH. What qualities in a potential HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis service are valued by black men who have sex with men in London? A qualitative acceptability study. International Journal of STD & AIDS, published online first, 21 February 2018 (doi:10.1177/0956462418755224).
- Witzel TC, Weatherburn P, Rodger AJ, Bourne AH & Burns FM. Risk, reassurance and routine: a qualitative study of narrative understandings of the potential for HIV self-testing among men who have sex with men in England. BMC Public Health, 2017, 17:491 (doi: 10.1186/s12889-017-4370-0).
- Witzel TC, Weatherburn P, Burns FM, Johnson C, Figueroa C, Rodger AJ. Consolidating emerging evidence surrounding HIVST and HIVSS: a rapid systematic mapping protocol. Systematic Reviews, 2017, 6:72 (doi: 10.1186/s13643-017-0452-4).
- Witzel TC, Lora W, Lees S, Desmond N. Uptake contexts and perceived impacts of HIV testing and counselling among adults in East and Southern Africa: A meta-ethnographic review. PLoS ONE, 2017, 12(2): e0170588 (doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0170588).
- Witzel TC, Rodger AJ. New initiatives to develop self-testing for HIV. Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases, 2017 Feb; 30(1):50-57 (doi: 10.1097/QCO.0000000000000336).
- Witzel TC, Melendez-Torres GJ, Hickson F, Weatherburn P. HIV testing history and preferences for future tests among gay men, bisexual men and other MSM in England: results from a cross-sectional study. BMJ Open, 2016; 6:e011372 (doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2016-011372).
- Witzel TC, Rodger AJ, Burns FM, Rhodes T, Weatherburn P. HIV self-testing among men who have sex with men (MSM) in the UK: A qualitative study of barriers and facilitators, intervention preferences and perceived impacts. PLoS ONE, 2016, 11(9): e0162713 (doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0162713).
- Witzel TC, Guise A, Nutland W, Bourne A. It Starts With Me: Privacy concerns and stigma in the evaluation of a Facebook health promotion intervention. Sexual Health, 2016 Jun; 13(3): 228-33 (doi: 10.1071/SH15231).
- Mowlabocus S, Harbottle J, Witzel C. What we can’t see? Understanding the representations and meanings of UAI, barebacking, and semen exchange in gay male pornography. Journal of Homosexuality, 2014; 61(10): 1462-1480.
- Mowlabocus S, Harbottle J, Witzel C. Porn laid bare: gay men, pornography and bareback sex. Sexualities, 2013; 16(5-6): 523-547.
Recent talks and presentations
What role does HIV self-testing have for men who have sex with men in the UK? Testing needs, social norms and biological citizenship. Poster at 21st International AIDS Conference (AIDS 2016), Durban, South Africa, July 18-22, 2016.
Values and preferences of HIV self-testing options in UK men who who have sex with (MSM): Barriers, facilitators and intervention preferences. Talk at 21st International AIDS Conference (AIDS 2016), Durban, South Africa, July 18-22, 2016.
Motivations and barriers to pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) use among black men who have sex with men (MSM) aged 18-45 in London. After PrEP: Ethical Sexualities, Viral Memories, and New Socio-Medical Landscapes in HIV Prevention, University of Sussex, 2-3 June 2016.
ResearchGate Profile for T. Charles Witzel